I get into school at a time which I think is ridiculously early, around about 7.30am (Sorry Abby, if you’re reading this, I know you get in much earlier). Annoyingly my body clock doesn’t reset on a Saturday and this morning I found myself wide awake at 6.30am!
However, one good thing came out of it which was that I managed to make this recipe that I’ve been dying to try for ages; cupcake doughnuts. By 9am the kitchen was full of delicious doughnut smells!
I can’t recommend this BBC Good Food recipe enough. It’s stupidly easy to make and the end result is exactly what you’d expect – a perfect combination of cupcake and doughnut without the huge amounts of calories from fried doughnuts. At around 220 calories per doughnut, these make the perfect Saturday morning treat.
I used raspberry jam, but lemon curd and Nutella work brilliantly well too.
140g caster sugar, plus 200g for dusting
200g plain flour
1tsp baking powder
100ml natural yoghurt
2 large eggs
1tsp vanilla extract
140g butter, melted
12 tsp seedless raspberry jam
Preheat the oven to 190 degrees Celsius
1. Combine the dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
2. In a separate bowl, mix together the yoghurt and eggs.
3. Fold the melted butter and wet ingredients to the dry with a metal spoon.
4. Lightly grease a 12 hole cupcake tray
5. Add 1 dessert spoon of batter to each cupcake hole and then add a tsp of jam. Finally top with the remaining batter.
6. Bake for 18 minutes or until the edges are golden brown.
7. Allow to cool in the tray for 5 minutes, remove from the tin and roll in the sugar.
What’s your favourite Saturday morning baking recipe?